Tuesday 12 July 2011

Flower Power Socks...

Flower Power is a beautiful 4 ply sock wool that I bought from The Knitting Goddess recently.


Hand dyed in colourway Flower Power.  Beautiful rich colours of pinks, magenta, greens, turquoise and mauve.  Gorgeous colours.


The 4 ply sock yarn is very soft and silky to the touch.  50% superwash merino and 50% tencel yarn (100g/333m).  I haven't knit with tencel before but my sister says it is very comfortable for socks.


The skein looked beautiful when it arrived


The yarn knits with a spiral pattern emerging so I decided that I would knit these with an afterthought heel.  I am deciding which to use at the moment.


I know that I will use the round toe for these socks as I like wearing them so much.  I did read about a round toe for the heel but I don't think it would be comfortable if the last 8 stitches were gathered but I think it would be more comfortable to kitchener stitch the last stitches.  Thinking about this at the moment.


The royal blue line is the waste wool that I have put in to show where the afterthought heel will be worked.


I finished these socks a few months ago and never actually photographed them at that time.  So I thought I'd photograph them now.  They have been worn and washed many times.  The yarn has, I think stood up well to general wear.  The after thought heels are comfortable although I do prefer wearing socks with a traditional heel flap.  But these socks were quick and easy to knit.


As I would have expected, the colour has faded a little, over time with washing.  But I think, if anything, they are even prettier than they were when they were first made.  I rather like the colours as they have softened.



No comments:

Post a Comment