Saturday 9 July 2011

Heather Socks...

This gorgeous sock yarn is hand dyed in the Heather colourway by The Knitting Goddess...  I really like the shades of purple and the mint and sage green.  These colours work well together.


It is very soft to the touch.  a 4ply sock yarn in 75% superwash merino and 25% nylon.  (100g/425m).


I bought this from a lady who was selling part of her personal sock wool collection on Ravelry.  


I knit this pair of socks at the same time on two sets of dpn's.  It is my favourite sock pattern.  I find all the elements very comfortable to wear.  A basic ribbed cuff, followed by 40 rounds of stocking stitch, then turning the heel, working the gusset and...


Finishing with a round toe.  I find that this style of toe with even decreases every third round is very comfortable to wear.


I am really looking forward to wearing these socks as they feel so very soft to the touch.  I opted for the plain pattern because the yarn has such a rich colour palette and fine stripes I felt that patterning would be lost.


I love using bamboo dpn's.  I used to get severe pain in my wrists and thumb joints when I was doing a lot of knitting and I find that using the bamboo needles really helps to stop this happening.

I finished knitting these socks surprisingly quickly.  Decided I just couldn't wait to start wearing them, then of course, I bought a great pair of Birkenstock sandals for the summer weather (yep, the first day I wore them, the rain pelted down on me and I really wished I was wearing shoes and cosy hand knit socks).  


But I do think that it will be nice to have a few new pairs of socks for the autumn.  


1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki, I love your pattern for these socks and am at the gusset decreases. Question about knit to last 3 sts on needle 1, ssk, k1. K30 on needles 2&3, k1, ssk, k to end of needle 4. Does this mean repeat k1 ssk to end of needle 4 or just knit to end of needle 4?

    ReplyDelete